Monday, February 16, 2009

Hi, I am just creating this tonight

3 days post op. I just got home from having a 2mm tumor on my pituitary gland removed. It's probably been in there, growing, for almost 8 years. My features have changed over the last 8 year, so that's why I think it's been that long. I have so much to say on my condition, but I have time to work on my blog. I am really happy to see that I have fellow Acro people out there who I can connect with. Here's some of my info:



  • I'm 38 years old, Filipino-American male

  • Grew up in NYC

  • My toddler daughter has Type-1 diabetes (diagnosed last year)

  • My wife and I are on a mission to find out if my daughter's diabetes is connected to my condition.

Well, that's all for now since I am really out of it and I am having my wife type this for me right now, as I dictate to her. I am so glad to be home, in my own bed... with my family by my side. Hospitals are too cold and depressing.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paul!!

    Thanks for your comment on Acromegaly Bloggers! I will be happy to add you as an author on the group blog - just email me: blog @ polarchip dot com and I'll set you up.

    I'm looking forward to learning more about you and reading more about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    I wish you lots of hope and rest. I am so glad that you are blogging. I will be following your Acromegaly journey for sure.
    September 2009 will be 3 years since my surgery and it is so great to read everyone's blog as we are all sharing our own [yet very similar] struggles with Acromegaly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the group - Glad to see you (and your wife) here! Look forward to reading your story.

    Sorry to hear about your daughter. My mom is a Type-1 diabetic - she was diagnosed when she was a young teen. Treatment for diabetes has come a long way since then - I hope you get the answers you are searching for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys for the comments and feedback. It really is great to read. Wow, Alecia E., that link with the type-1 is interesting. Have you ever thought about the two linked together?

    I will get my story on here as soon as I can do it myself (my wife is still typing for me as I dictate to her). She is scouring all of your sites :) Information is power!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Paul,

    I'm glad you've take a step to blog about your acromegaly, it is a help to us all! I've found that writing my Acromegaly Diary ( www.acromegaly.wordpress.com ) has helped me a great deal just getting things out in the open.

    I'm only a year older than you, quite recently diagnosed and just started treatment with Sandostatin. Wishing you the best of health,
    Trys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,

    Just found your blog. I have just had my transsphenoidal surgery (16 March) to remove my 7-8mm GH-secreting tumour here in the UK (at Oxford). It's just over three weeks since my surgery and I think I am doing really well. My rear end has even shrunk! I just get the occasional headache now, and have codeine to deal with that. Back at work soon (would have gone back earlier if it wasn't for the doctors' insistence to take it easy...) And back at the hospital in few weeks to check GH levels, etc.

    Best wishes
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul,
    Paul here.
    I had my tumour removed in May 2009.
    My GH level is still higher than I had hoped, so am looking at other treatment options.
    I would like to know how things have been going for you.

    ps: I have 2 kids and neither of them are diabetic, so I doubt your acromegaly had any effect on your daughter.

    ReplyDelete